5.07.2012

Guest Bath Reveal

A few months ago, I had the pleasure of being asked to help a dear family friend with a bathroom quandary. Her hall bath desperately needed a makeover, but without gutting the space, what to do?
Our process began with an initial consultation after which I spent a week brainstorming and developing three proposals for the space. They were loosely centered on colors for the woodwork - one in creams, one in green, and one in taupe. After revealing the three proposals, the homeowner chose the taupe option...my favorite too!
I had a few stipulations with what was staying in place, and what we could certainly make better.
Now, I am proud to show you what I was able to accomplish in this fun little space!
This fabulous throw rug from the 1920's was our main inspiration for the room, and set the tone for both the color and worldly feel. It is just the right mix of history, playfulness and Chinoiserie for the hall bathroom.
All of the permanent fixtures were staying put - cabinetry, tile, wallpaper, etc. The cabinets were Design Dilemma #1. However, I knew that I could bring them up to date with new paint and hardware. 

Design Dilemma #2 was the issue of the black border. It just wasn't great anymore. So, creative woodwork to the rescue...


Design Dilemma #3: The small shelf just wasn't cutting it in terms of storage. I had a great piece in mind for this space from the get-go.

Design Solution: Cover the existing border with a fabulous piece of crown molding. The homeowner and I both really loved the wallpaper - it's a subtle creamy taupe paisley pattern with a white background. I chose a similar creamy taupe paint for the woodwork in the bath.

Design Dilemma #4: New lights. In addition to replacing these two wall sconce, we needed a new overhead light too. 



I didn't stop with the new molding. I had an idea to add this fun coral fabric trim along the perimeter of the molding as well. It truly makes a gorgeous, unexpected statement. 

Here's my hunky hubs electrician installing the new lights.

In addition to the mirror in the room, the lights, molding, and hardware, I knew these Chinoiserie prints would make a lovely statement in the bath as well. Their soft colors and worldly influence reflect the homeowners' love for travel. 

Design Solution: a modern, streamlined semi-flush-mount for the entry door. 
And voila! A semi-new bathroom for the homeowners and their guests! Check out the new oil-rubbed-bronze sconce above that awesome new mirror. 

The prints look fantastic with the shot of coral along the crown molding. 

I pulled the coral from the rug with the trim around the molding and pulled the green in with the new prints.  Shades of caramel and yellows are reflected in the bamboo wall shelf and its accessories.
I really fell for this mirror the first time I saw it. I knew we were working with the tile restrictions (I needed a mirror that was no wider than 40") and guess what? This mirror is 40" wide exactly. Lucky me! The lime wash is an unexpected finish in the bathroom, but ties in with the yellows and caramels pulled from the rug. 


Design Solution: I replaced the small wicker shelf with this great bamboo one - now styled with lovely bath accessories, white towels, and photos of the homeowners' precious grandchildren.

I swapped out all of the outlet covers and ordered new lights and hardware in the oil-rubbed bronze finish from Restoration Hardware. The handsome look really translates into the style of the rest of the house. 





Peek-a-boo! While we were at it, I replaced the hall lights with those fantastic bird cage drum shade pendants too! But more on that later...

Design Solution: Paint all of the woodwork in the room the same color - Springfield Tan by Benjamin Moore. We used oil-based paint for its durability and ease to clean. Paired with the new hardware, it's a great look. 

Hope you enjoyed this small-space reno...it was a pleasure to work on! 

4 comments:

  1. It looks great!!! Love that mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie! You did such an amazing job! The space looks 100% better. I love the new hardware, too! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual ... Maggie, the makeover is wonderful. Fresh and chic! The homeowner was lucky to have you! When are you back in Hville so work your magic on a closet and hall? Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie...it looks awesome! I am loving the rug and the way you accented the wallpaper with the trim! That was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete