7.30.2012

A powder room make-over

Happy Monday bloggers!
I wanted to share with you all one of our easier projects around the new house. 
Our basement powder room needed an update in a major way. The wall color wasn't my favorite, I wasn't diggin' the chair rail, and those mirrors - yuck. 
The space is a nice size. Not too small, and definitely didn't need those mirrors to make it feel "bigger."
BEFORE
A while ago, I had the idea of adding horizontal boards to mimic this building technique. I have always loved any sort of wood paneling...vertical, horizontal, walls, ceiling whatever. And this Pin below really hit the nail on the head.
INSPIRATION
And here is the idea come to life! Our amazing carpenter did a great job! He took simple ply-wood sheets and cut them into 6" strips. Once nailed to the wall, I loved the look of keeping them unfinished. But, with the darker hardwood flooring, I decided to go ahead and paint them.
DURING

DURING
My hubs and I both LOVE how this turned out. What a simple, inexpensive upgrade! 
I used Coastal Fog by Benjamin Moore.
It feels much warmer now, and adding the wood didn't make it feel cramped at all. I love the rustic chic look too since we do live on the lake after all.
AFTER


We finally got around to hanging our mirror!


And I added these beauts too!


 On another home-improvement note, my little hutch in the kitchen got a touch-up. Over the course of the move and the flooring issues, it had some nicks and scrapes. And I was feeling like the color was a little too similar to the wall color. At our other house, I mixed my own paint color in our basement. It was fun when I had it in our entryway against cappuccino walls. But at this house, the color didn't quite fit.
Before the paint job.

And after. Now, it has a little more contrast, and feels new again!
The color is Zinc by Martha Stewart.



Have you all painted any furniture lately?

1 comment:

  1. I love your new bathroom and the hutch! I really want to paint a dresser that was once painted and has since been stripped to its natural wood and stained. My husband is a little less sure of my DIY endeavor! What kind of paint did you use on the hutch? Was it simply a flat indoor paint? I'll be using your hutch to help convince him that painting this dresser is the way to go! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete