9.07.2012

lovin this laundry room

I love having a true blue laundry room.
In our other house, the laundry room was basically the breakfast area.... disguised by a settee, but still in the kitchen.
Now, having a laundry room actually lets me have a door to shut, a place for the ironing board, and more. 
Here's the before shot:
A nice navy mural with celestial stars among James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, and of course, Elvis. 
Painting was on the list of must-do's, but I was also a little saddened by the look of these laminate cabinets. While it was nice to have the storage, they really weren't very deep, and the plastic-y look wasn't totally my cup of tea. 
While touring a show house, there was open shelving everywhere - laundry room, butlers pantry...
*light bulb*
...I asked our contractor to take them down and build me some open shelving....

Here's the painting mid-primer.
They also took up the tile on the floor so that we could lay brick pavers. 


I showed our wood worker these inspiration shots...I was really drawn to the open shelving, and they look so good when styled well too.


This is a mud room, but I loved the built ins, moldings, and brick floor.


Be still my heart. A gray washer and dryer!!!! 


And now here is my AFTER:
Lots of open shelving with baskets for all of our things. I even found a little spot for the small shelf that had been in our other kitchen.


Now, I can see all of my extra entertaining pieces so that I will be able to grab them easily.
The color of the walls and shelving is Mascarpone and the door is Wrought Iron.


It's a super plus to have a sink in here, but those plastic legs weren't cutting it. Out came some extra burlap and my hot glue gun. Easy peasy.

And you can see the brick floors too - they're so pretty! 



The little valance and flower vases add a splash of fun too!




Who knew I'd be so pumped about a laundry room? 

4 comments:

  1. So cute! The burlap sink skirt is genius! May steal that idea...I hate the plastic legs on ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! It would make me want to do laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Maggie I love it!!! I love the flower vases... where did you get those?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the transformation and your lovely shelves.

    ReplyDelete