3.25.2013

My Powder Room - a Fun Update

Powder rooms are a fun place to play with design ideas. Small projects that you may not want to take out into the main parts of your house, but that could really liven up a small space. 

In case you all forgot, here's the BEFORE image of what our powder room looked like when my husband and I moved into our new home last summer. This wallpaper was not my style, the floors were lighter than we'd like, and the metallic mini blinds had to go.

Here's what a fresh coat of cream paint with a great new mirror and accessories will do:


But, I wanted to add a little something more.
So, we recently had horizontal boards added around the bottom circumference of the room and painted the same cream color. Now, the room has a chic bamboo shade and fabric valance, darker stained floors, and a pretty wall color to boot.




And those dark painted doors are still one of my favorite decisions we've made around here. 
My husband and I both LOVE the horizontal boards in this little room - sometimes I think how fun it would be to have them everywhere!!!




I also grabbed my paint brush to recreate some small watercolors of pagodas I'd recently seen to hang in this space. I love the color in them and the grid look with the gold frames.


Aren't they presh?
The colors pull from the rest of our home - blues, greens, with hints of coral and pink.







Hope you like this little update as much as I do!

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Do share the how-to. I live in a rental and this would be a great idea for my hallway without causing to much damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Our crew is great at this kind of wood work. They took thin sheets of plywood from the hardware store, cut it into 12" strips, and spaced the boards 1/4" apart with a nail gun. After patching the holes and painting it looks like real wood paneling. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. looks great, and i love the little pagoda paintings! would you mind sharing your source on the frames?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivey!
      The frames are actually super inexpensive 11x14 document frames from Michael's that I spray painted gold. The mats were a little pricier - but I ordered them from Amazon. They're 11x14" frames with 5x7" openings.
      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. Hey Maggie! I hope you're feeling great. I know you must be excited about Baby G (we called Harrison the same thing when I was pregnant). I LOVE these pagoda prints. I know you're busy getting ready for baby now, but I'd love a set. When you have time, send me an email with a quote for a set of 6 or even 9, please. No rush. I'm first name dot last name at gmail. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete